To all those learning to drive/sitting the driving test or just plain interested

I spend most days sitting in the passanger seat of my learner vehicle. I wanted to share the things I see happening in my town and the silly mistakes I see happening again and again on our roads.

I hope that some of the things I have to say will be funny and also to some value to those wanting/needing to sit the Irish driving test.



Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"BURKA Driver"




Today on BBC news it was reported that a French Muslim Woman was fined for wearing a full-face veil while driving a car. Police in Nantes said the veil-which showed only the women's eyes-restricted her vision and could have caused an accident.

On Saturday I had the pleasure of taking a pupil out on her driving lesson wearing her niqab. During the hour long lesson the pupil needed to adjust her veil a number of times, just like any of us might adjust our glasses on our nose.

When it came to the reverse around the corner the niqab posed no problem and the manoeuvre was completed satisfactorily. The only reason I had for any concerns came from the children on the opposite side of the corner who could not take their eyes off my Muslim Lady and nearly fell of the pavement wanting to see more..

As for driving down the street and turning into junctions it was the cause of the Burka clad pupil causing heads to turn and near accidents to form in front of our eyes but not because of her eyes.

I must admit that as per new concerns from the RSA that we must always verify identity to check that the pupil is holding a learner permit prior to a lesson, I still have not had the courage to ask my veil clad lady to reveal what is under hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment